Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Strike One

So, police procedurals aren't really my cup of tea.  I'm not a big fan of them on TV (aside from Elementary and Hawaii Five - 0, which I love), and I'm even less of a fan of them in books.  BUT, that said, I will make an exception every now and then.  This is one of those times.

I was in college when the Harry Potter books were released.  I read them, I loved them.  I still reread them.  Harry Potter represented a paradigm shift in children's literature; it blurred the lines between fact and fiction, between the real world and the supernatural world, and between children's fiction and adult fiction.  Two of these things were noteworthy, one was earth-shattering.  Suddenly, it was OK for adults to be caught reading kids' books.  And that still persists today.  J.K. Rowling achieved something great with her Harry Potter books, and they remain some of my favorites, even now, years later.  So when the Cormoran Strike series came into being, of course I had to read them.  Now, I did not wait in line for The Cuckoo's Calling to get it on release day.  I didn't even read it within the first week it was available.  It was a while.  I knew I was going to read it, it was just one of those things I didn't quite get around to.  It wasn't until The Silkworm was released that I actually even read The Cuckoo's Calling.  But then I read it in two days.  I loved it.  So I immediately ran out and bought The Silkworm.

"Wait," you say.  "This book cover shows The Silkworm was written by some dude called Robert Galbraith.  What does that have to do with J.K. Rowling?"  After the harsh criticism she took over her first post-Potter book The Casual Vacancy, Rowling decided to distance herself (in name, anyway) from her very public name in an effort to give her new books a chance to be judged on their own merit, rather than on the fame of her name.  Which means: Robert Galbraith = J.K. Rowling in disguise.

Now, I knew going in that Rowling was the author of these books (by then, it wasn't a secret any longer), but I did my best not to let my expectations for one of my favorite authors color my opinion of the Strike books.  I was not disappointed.  Here's the blurb, ripped from Goodreads:
        
        When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days—as he has done before—and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

        But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives—meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

        When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before...


Rowling's (or, to be technically correct, Galbraith's) hero, Cormoran Strike,  is ex-British military, a big, rough-looking man who suffered a debilitating injury in the course of service.  He isn't a traditional hero; he's a quiet, broody, chain-smoking, semi-alcoholic with one leg.  Not really "be still, my beating heart" material.  But, I think, that's the point.  It isn't about what he looks like; it's about who he is.  Strike is a world-weary, experience-wise detective whose outlook on the world gives him a unique perspective on things.  I like this about him.  He is flawed and damaged, which makes him relatable and real.

The other main character in the book, Strike's assistant Robin, is as equally relatable.  Though beautiful in her way, and though she has a handsome, successful fiance, Robin's life is not all rainbows and unicorns.  Said handsome fiance, Matthew, is a serious douche bag.  He isn't at all supportive of Robin's chosen career, and revels in belittling her and her job at every opportunity.  He cares too much about money, and not enough about people.  So, though it seems on the surface as if Robin has it all, her life is endlessly frustrating.  She does, however, present a perfect foil for Strike as she is refined and calm and well-mannered.

Their partnership is an entertaining as the plot of the book itself.  Strike and Robin work together with respect and teamwork, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.  Where Strike prefers to be out on the streets, beating the pavement for answers and information, Robin has a knack for tracking down information digitally, over the phone, and through interviews.  Strike teaches Robin about being a detective, and Robin keeps Strike connected to humanity, when he would otherwise withdraw into himself.  The characters, these two, are what drives the plot.  It wouldn't be the same without either Strike or Robin, and the things that both of them bring to the story.

As for the plot, it is well done.  Galbraith sets up a mystery that could have many solutions, and at different points, I was willing to consider them all. Strike treads through all the strides of detective work - the exciting and the mundane - and readers go along on this journey with him.  There is blood, there is betrayal, there is danger.  And when all is finally revealed, it made me want to go back and reread the entire book to see how I could have possibly missed the clues.  It was a satisfying conclusion worthy of the best mystery novel.

I would recommend this book to readers who are mystery fans.  It adheres to all the conventions, and presents an intricate thriller that keeps readers guessing until the end.  It is multi-layered, with a depth that indicates careful thought and planning on the part of the author.  Not for the faint of heart, though, as there are a couple of rather gruesome scenes.

Readers who like The Silkworm may also like:
Death of a Reader by Michael Collins
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
Original Sin by P.D. James

Continuing with my Reading Resolution, I will be reviewing a juvenile title next - Book Scavenger by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman.  This was a really fun read, so check back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment