Friday, January 15, 2016

And Happy New Year... Late.

New Year's resolutions aren't my thing.  I'm not a resoluter.  I don't resolute.  I find that making a resolution (in my experience, anyway) is basically daring myself to fail.  And I don't like to fail.  So, you will never find me resolving to become a vegetarian, or resolving to lose that pesky extra five pounds, or resolving to donate more of my time to charity.  (Not that those aren't all good things.)  I may do those things, but I'm not going to resolve to do it.

That said, one resolution I'm not opposed to is a reading resolution.  Becky Spratford, the library world's own Reader's Advisory guru and the author of the gem blog RA for All  recently posted her New Year's Reading Resolutions, and I thought to myself why, that's an utterly brilliant idea!  You see, my approach to reading is rather willy-nilly; I read what sounds good.  However, I am grown-up enough to know that only reading what appeals to me will never help me develop my knowledge of, say, philosophy (gag), or familiarize myself with what's going on down on the Amish prairie.  And as a librarian who makes it her goal to provide quality reader's advisory for her patrons, this is a less-than-ideal situation.  This is where the reading resolution comes in.

I have authored for myself a three-part reading resolution for 2016.  The goal here is to broaden my genre knowledge base and (gulp) read some non-fiction.  Now, I did read two whole non-fiction books last year.  Both were by Erik Larson (Dead Wake and The Devil in the White City), and both were superb.  It helped that I listened to them on audio, and that Scott Brick and Tony Goldwyn respectively, both did a brilliant job with the narrations.  I would read more Larson books.  I would read all the Larson books.  But, well, I'll bet you can see the problem with that.  It's still not branching out.  So, here's how I plan to break out of my reading safe-zone and learn ALL THE NEW THINGS.

FIRST, to read five non-fiction titles and review them upon completion.  This sounds easier than it will be, because I am placing a restriction on myself: these five books must be from three different Dewey number ranges.  For you non-library folk, there are ten Dewey ranges (the 0s - the 900s), and each step of the 00s indicates a different range of subject areas.  This means I can't just read five biographies; what it does mean is that I'm going to end up reading something I really don't want to.  But I guess that's kinda' the point, right?

SECOND, to read one title from each genre and review it upon completion.  This is around ten books, depending on whether one counts "women's fiction", "inspirational", and "new adult fiction" as genres.  Generally, the accepted genres are Thriller, Mystery, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Western, and Horror.  Then there's the optional Women's Fiction, Inspirational Fiction, and New Adult Fiction.  Now, some of these are areas in which I regularly read, such as HF and FSY (Historical Fiction and Fantasy for the Cretins).  Some are not, such as WF (kill me now) and IF (sorry, Zondervan, but just nope).  The problem is, many of my patrons <3 WF and IF.  So this puts me at a disadvantage.  Hopefully, this plan will take care of that.  There are a myriad of sub-genres represented here, as well, so I have many options.

THIRD, to read at least three each Teen and Juvenile books and review them upon completion.  This shouldn't be too much of a stretch for me.  I still read some of the authors who were writing when I was a teen (which doesn't really SEEM that long ago until I start to do the math), so they are already on my to-read list.  And as I have a two-year-old, it only seems wise that I start building her a must-read list.  Oh, and there are a million billion kiddos who come in to the library every day looking for books.

YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED the "review them" qualification I put on each part of my reading resolution.  This is to keep me honest.  If I know there are people *anxiously awaiting* my review of a title, it may inspire me to follow through (note: sarcasm).  What reviews do is allow me to think through all aspects of a title, and consider which books might be good "readalikes", or titles I can suggest to patrons who want to read something "exactly like Fifty Shades of Grey!".  Oy-vey.  It also keeps me visiting my blog and my Goodreads page, and helps me build my NoveList base.  All things that are great resources, and, in the long run, will help me better serve my patrons.

By my count, that gives me around twenty-five books to read to fulfill my resolution.  That's not bad; definitely doable.  And it leaves me room to fill in the gap with things I *really want to read*.  ;)  My plan is to herald the beginning of a new book with a post, and announce its completion with a review. This is an experiment; I've never tried something of its like.  We'll see how it goes.  But I would love some cheers and encouragement along the way, so feel free to weigh in.  If you've read the book I'm reading, let me know your thoughts about it.  (But NO SPOILERS, or I will sic the nazgul on you.)  If you disagree with my review or my opinions, I welcome that, as well.  One of the most interesting things about books is the profoundly different effect they have on people.  I love a good discussion.

I AM BEGINNING WITH...  The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher, which will fulfill the Fantasy genre requirement.  I chose this book because it's been staring up at me from my desk for a couple of months now, begging me to read it.  I love Jim Butcher.  Wait, that's not right.  I love Harry Dresden.  So I am eager to see what Butcher can do with characters that aren't Chicago's only wizard for hire.  Review to follow. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I think this a great resolution. I've decided to do something similar and just joined Goodreads (yes I'm behind the curve). I highly recommend 'Meet Me in Atlantis' by Mark Adams if that fits into one of your non-fiction sets. You will love it. At least I did :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So noted, and added to the list of dreaded non-fiction possibilities.
    And welcome to Goodreads! Friend me, so we can keep up there.

    ReplyDelete